Kamal is the Executive Chairman at Grant Thornton Kenya. He joined the firm in 1988 when the firm was known as Vipul Shah & Co. as a Tax Senior. He rose through the ranks and became Executive Chairman of the firm in 2021.
Kamal chairs the Policy Board and drives the HR Advisory and Family Advisory service lines. He also assists the Partner Board in driving the Grant Thornton Strategy.
Kamal has a passion for people development and is at the forefront of creating the environment our people need to succeed. He is directly involved in bringing up new leaders within the firm through coaching and mentoring.
Kamal is also the Executive Chairman of Grant Thornton Tanzania and he drives Grant Thornton East Africa’s collaboration initiatives. Grant Thornton East Africa consists of firms in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. Grant Thornton also serves Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, Somalia and the Democratic Republic of Congo through cross-border services. He drives the growth of our business in the East Africa region through collaboration and value addition in shared resources.
Kamal has gained substantial experience over the years on matters related to advisory, tax, audit and company secretarial services. He has experience in Financial services, Real Estate & construction, Travel, tourism & leisure, Manufacturing, Trading, Construction and Service industries.
Kamal Shah received his commendation from ICPAK on 11 December 2020 in recognition of the services and contributions to the Institute and to the profession at large.
He serves as a Director and Trustee for various commercial and non-commercial organisations.
He sits on the Advisory Board at Institute of Chartered Accountants of (CA) India.
- Chartered Accountant (CA) India
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Kenya
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- University of Oxford Said Business School – Grant Thornton International Senior Leadership Programme (September 2014 to October 2015)
- Chairman of Chartered Accountants of India, Kenya
- European Mentoring & Coaching Council – Exceptional Coach Programme (2020)
- European Mentoring & Coaching Council - Accredited Coach and Mentor; EIA ref: EIA 20203871 (valid 22 May 2020 to 22 May 2025)