The Data protection Act, 2019 (“the Act”) came into force on 25th November, 2019 and is now the primary statute on data protection in Kenya.
Ms. Immaculate Kassait, MBS was appointed as the first Data Protection Commissioner on 12th November 2020 by his H.E the President.
Objectives and purposes of this Act
- Regulate the processing of personal data;
- Ensure that the processing of personal data of a data subject is guided by the principles
- Protect the privacy of individuals;
- Establish the legal and institutional mechanism to protect personal data; and
- Provide Data Subjects with rights and remedies to protect their personal data from processing that is not in accordance with this Act.
Download our alert on the right hand side of this screen.